July 10, 2013

Food Review: Clancy's Fish Pub Canning Bridge, Perth

I recently made a trip to Clancy's Fish Pub at Canning Bridge for a friend's birthday lunch. I've always driven by Clancy's, since I actually live in the area, but never tried it till now. All I knew about it, was that it was a pub, and served fish & chips. I always see people having drinks there at night, so it couldn't be that bad.

Note that Clancy's Fish Pub has three other locations, Dunsborough, Freo and City Beach, all of which have different specials and menus.

My first impression of Clancy's Fish Pub was that it was laid back. It had some really tacky decor, but I liked it. Jellyfish lampshades? Yes. Seafood mural on every surface? Yes. Aquarium? Yes. It might just be me, but I really enjoy themed places. Clancy's theme was immediately distinguishable.

There was, however, a lingering smell of gas, probably from their heaters, which freaked me out some, but it didn't bother me so much when I was at my table. 



So here's what my friends ordered, which I won't be reviewing, because I think it's only fair that I review food I actually ate. As far as I know, they enjoyed their food, had little issue with it, and good times were had.

Grilled squid salad: 


Seafood Platter for two (fried): 



This, however, is what I did order - Seafood Paella (for one), $26.50: 


When I saw this on the menu, I knew I had to have it. Paella is one of the dishes that is rarely seen in menus, as it is often thought to be too time-consuming and relatively difficult to perfect.

This paella was far from any mark of perfection. For $26.50, I expected a pan of seafood paella with soft fluffy rice, flavoured with seafood and spices with the signature crust at the bottom of the pan. What I did get, was a pan of very wet, soggy rice, flavoured like canned tomatoes and lemon juice, with undercooked pieces of capsicum and pineapple (?!). Whatever this was, it was definitely not paella. 

On the other hand, the slices of chorizo and seafood was nice. It was definitely some good seafood, fresh even, and some quality chorizo, but it was all completely hindered by the failure of the Not-Paella.



After the paella fiasco, I ordered dessert, and this was when I knew something wasn't right, when the establishment did not have two of the five desserts on their menu. Tried to order their Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwich, was not available. My friend tried to order their Panna Cotta, which they again did not have. We also spoke to a waitress about recommended desserts before placing our order, and she gave no indication (or knowledge) that any desserts were not available. 

Chocolate Sundae, $10.50:


The disappointment of seeing a sundae of this size and quality was palpable as desserts arrived. This was basically two scoops of vanilla ice cream, with congealed chocolate sauce, couple slices of strawberry, two pieces of softened wafer and hazelnuts. 

For $10.50, I was expecting something a little more substantial, not a kid's meal dessert.

My friends ordered their chocolate lava cake, with missing lava action:




I had a good time with my friends, nonetheless, which I attributed to a really good atmosphere in a comfortable booth, and I think at some point I might even go back again just to try their fish & chips, since that was one of their selling points - plus I think it's a cool place to just hang out with your friends for some beer and chips, with live music most nights and a good variety of alcohol.

I think if they cleaned up their menu a bit, and focused on seafood and pub food, it might just work out, but for now, I will just continue to drive past it, until I can return without cringing everytime I remember the Not-Paella they served me.




Clancy's Fish Pub (Canning Bridge) can be located at:

903 Canning Hwy
Applecross
WA 6153



Clancy's Fish Pub Canning Bridge on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment