May 10, 2019

Skincare : Sunscreen Round-up

A little over a year ago, I made it a point to incorporate sunscreen into my routine. Singapore was (and probably still am) undergoing an intense heatwave with a disgusting amount of sunlight. 

The first thing that alerted me to start looking into sunscreen was that I had noted -- with alarming frequency -- that my face almost always felt tight and warm in the evenings after coming home from work. My cleansing or skincare routine had not changed - yet day after day my skin continued to feel heated and uncomfortably tight, especially after warm days. 

The second, is hyperpigmentation. With my hormonal acne, and monthly skin breakouts from still being a fertile female who ovulates, the scars remain on my face long after the actual pimple or cyst is gone. 


So began my experience with sunscreen:



I will let you know, that I have found the minimum SPF I require for my skin is at least SPF50. There's some debate on the market regarding whether there is even such a thing as SPF50, or 60, 70, etc, but through my experience I have found that SPF50 is the bare minimum for me to prevent sunburn, and by extension, sun damage.

To put it simply, what I've learnt is that everyone is born with a different amount of melanin (darker skin, fair skin, etc) - meaning the less melanin you have, the higher the SPF needed to protect it. This is on a case-by-case basis, of course, but that is the general observation with sun care. 


Let's cut to the chase, with my favourites - the top three, if you will. 


It is to no one's surprise, that my top three would be brands hailing from South Korea; perhaps now better known as the capital of all things skin care, where the famous 10-step skin routine and glass skin originated from. All three are also SPF50. 

My number one - holy grail item even, would be the Missha All Around Safe Block Aqua Sun Gel. I kid you not, this item is now so integral to my daily routine that I have two bottles stocked up on my shelf, just in case it ever sells out online or locally (which happens regularly since this product seems to be quite popular). 




While it does title itself as Sun Gel, it is in fact a light cream texture. Despite this, the product itself sinks effortlessly into the skin, cooling the skin at the same time with its ingredients of glacial water and Thanaka extract; a paste commonly seen on the faces of Myanmar ladies to cool and protect, whilst providing anti-fungal protection to the skin. It doesn't leave my skin excessively dewy, or dry, and is a great base for my make up to follow. 

I love this product. Fairly moisturising; doesn't leave any white cast and has not caused any irritation bumps (whiteheads) on my face in the many months I've used it. It is also the most cost-effective of the lot, at a mere $19 for 50ml. 


Coming in a strong second, is the famous Klairs Soft Airy UV Essence - an award-winner (Glowpick, Korea) that I tried on a whim when I was in desperate need of a sunscreen in Auckland. To my knowledge, my sister is also using this and we both have nothing but love for it.


Again,  it is marketed as a cream texture, but due to it being a water-based product, there's no white cast as it's worked into the skin. It does feel heavy but doesn't feel uncomfortably greasy. It is also developed for sensitive skin -- as with most Klairs products -- notable ingredients such as Tocopherol, an antioxidant which protects the skin barrier from free radicals, Sea Buckthorn oil for moisture, Panthenol to soothe irritation and finally, Niacinamide to brighten skin tone. 

For about $32 per 80ml, this is a great sunscreen for most, since it's very risk-free for most skin types. I would prefer if it was just a touch less greasy but it's perfect for my sun protection in colder, dryer climates. 


The third, is the Laneige Light Sun Fluid - ironically, the first bottle I got when I decided to venture into sunscreens. It was a purchase from the airport during a trip, and came in a pack of two, with one bottle still currently going strong on despite my valiant attempts to empty it.



In a tiny, adorable yellow bottle, this stuff goes a long way with its emulsion-type texture. Similar to calamine lotion, the runny texture is almost immediately absorbed into the skin with very little resistance. Laneige also used cooling mint water, and oil-balancing powder to further protect the skin barrier along with sun protection, but you'd do well to pat or massage this as quickly as possible as it does settle into the skin with a matte, powder finish. 

While it is claimed to be waterproof and sweat resistant, I have found that this does not hold truth and wipes off quite easily - on grumpy skin days, this sunscreen does give me whiteheads, even after cleansing. It is also pricier on the scale of $36 for 50ml. Nonetheless, this is a product I still use since it's an excellent sunscreen (as long as I don't touch my face) and does protect my skin from environmental stressors.


The remaining four sunscreens are narrowed down from sun care products I've purchased over the past six months; have been used daily to weekly for the same amount of time and range from SPF30 to 50. 



Another South Korean product, the Etude House Soon Jung Mild Defence Sun Cream comes with SPF49, which is quite a strange number to see on sun protection products. Nonetheless, it is a watery cream formula which does take a while to settle into the skin during application. While it doesn't feel sticky after, it does leave a sheen on the skin.


The Soon Jung line from Etude House is developed specifically for sensitive skin and formulated with mostly plant-based (natural) ingredients and the good stuff, like Panthenoside to strengthen the skin barrier. More importantly, the range is also very pH balanced to prevent irritation. All these factors are present in this sunscreen, and my skin is very happy to continue using this sunscreen. I will say, that the wait time for this product to be absorbed, as well as the dewy shine left behind can be unfavourable, but that's easily rectified as I go through my make up routine. 

The Soon Jung range also comes in two sizes for most of their products, so first-timers can always purchase the smaller size at 25ml for $11.90, or $19.90 for 50ml. 


Another contender from Missha, is their All Around Safe Block Soft Finish Milk.


While the very milky, emulsion-like formula leaves absolutely no shine behind; in fact mattifying the skin with its addition of porous powder, and does not cause me any breakouts - it does leave my skin too dry to apply make up after. I usually apply my most moisturising primer or foundation to combat this, which makes my skin relatively uncomfortable in Singapore's humidity. I still use this product on days where make up is not needed, since the product vanishes into the skin hassle-free, and does not require much else. 

It also comes in two sizes, at $33 for 70ml, or $26 for 40ml. I will add, that I go through a bottle faster with this product, since it sometimes requires more product - both due to its efficacy and the texture itself.


Perhaps the most well-known of the brands here, is the Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer™ Physical Daily Defense at SPF30. I got this baby during a Sephora sale, and I was very excited to try it after hearing a lot about Drunk Elephant in general, since it's considered to be quite niche in terms of skincare. 


Boasting ingredients such as astaxanthin, grape juice and sunflower shoot extract, all antioxidants to protect the skin from free radicals, and free from any animal product, silicones, chemical screens, fragrances/dyes or alcohols, this sunscreen has a lot going for it. While it does not break me out - the texture itself is by far, the thickest formula in all the sunscreens I have tried. A faint pink cream, it is a challenge to work into the skin and does leave a white cast and stickiness no matter how long I spend blending it into my skin. 

At $48 for 90ml, this product doesn't require much per use so each tube will go a long way. Drunk Elephant is also the more ethical of all the products, being cruelty free and a strong supporter of the IEF International Elephant Foundation. 


The last in the list, while not actually last in place, is the final step in my sun protection routine - the Supergoop! Defense Refresh Setting Mist, at SPF50. Supergoop! is a constant and renowned name in the sunscreen industry, so it's not surprising that their products would be in this humble post. 


Also a product purchased during a Sephora sale, this mist is a constant companion in my travel bag and serves as a top-up to my applied sunscreen of choice. A clear spray, it works as both a setting spray for make up as well as a sunscreen top up. Supposedly, it's supposed to be refreshing as well, but since the formula is quite heavy for a mist, refreshing was not my first impression. What I do use it for, is to maintain my UV protection through the day, and that it does. It also smells herbal, with its addition of rosemary, spearmint and peppermint oils, which is always nice in any face mist. 

I usually purchase the travel-friendly 30ml bottle for $18, but they also sell for $42 at 100ml.


So there's my chosen sunscreens used in the past year (I would say 14-15 months, but I don't keep track). 

The result, after daily and frequent use, is that the mentioned tightness and radiating heat I felt almost every evening is gone. My skin was comfortable, and felt comfortable. Cleansing is more tedious now, since I have to ensure every bit of product -- whether sunscreen or make up -- is removed thoroughly.

The second issue - hyperpigmentation, both hormonal and post-inflammatory have also  gradually disappeared. Of course, this is also attributed to my daily skincare routine, but the fact of the matter is that applying sunscreen before going outside prevents existing scars from discolouring further, and also reduces melanin overdrive by shielding my skin against UV rays. 


Listen, you're not on this post because you think i'm knowledgeable enough to wax poetic about the differences between mineral or chemical sunscreen, or how zinc may or may not cause cancer (not enough data, it's also found in many diaper creams and calamine lotion), or even the arguments for holistic replacements, such as coconut oil (it actually causes more light focus onto the skin because of refraction). 

I'm here to round up some of my favourites, after using them on my own skin personally. It might work for some, it might not - everyone's skin is different, but sun protection is important for more than simply cosmetic beauty, skin damage and skin cancer are facts. 

My honest experience is here for you to use as you like, but its important to remember you have to take ownership of your own skincare. That is what takes time and patience - figuring out what works for it. 


*No products were sponsored and all opinions are my own.* 

No comments: